Monday, 13 April 2015

Peace and Serenity in L’Aubrac, France



As my small rental car took the windy turns with ease, I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road. The scenery here literally took my breath away.

It had snowed just four days prior to my visit to Aubrac and I could already feel the temperature dropping as I left the village of Conques behind.
The remote and ever-changing Aubrac Plateau is a volcanic territory, stretching to almost a thousand square miles. The stillness and unique beauty of this place makes it one of my favorite regions in France.

I arrived at the secluded Les Chalets de La Rule in Nasbinals and once I saw the small, tastefully decorated house I would be staying at for the night, I could feel the tension of my busy day releasing from my body.
The silence of this place was unlike anything I have experienced in my travels. All I wanted to do was sit on the porch with a glass of wine and stare off into the distance, savoring this moment of unexpected tranquility.

WHAT TO SEE


A car and an open mind is a must in Aubrac. If you want to explore this region, just be aware that you will be doing a lot of driving, but you will be rewarded with stunning views of the french countryside.
  • Loups du Gevaudan Park
  • The Loups du Gevaudan Park is the only wolf park in Europe and has over 100 wolves living in semi-captivity on a 50 acre lot. Many of the wolves were brought here for their safety from hunters and they have originated from Mongolia, Canada, Poland, Siberia and the Arctic.
  • Deroc Waterfall
  • If you are looking for a little outdoor adventure or photo opportunities, take a trip to the gorgeous Deroc Waterfall in Nasbinals.
  • Caleden and Spa
  • In the unique town of Chaudes-Aigues, you will find natural hot springs and theCaleden and Spa. They offer soaking tubs and massage treatments.
  • Estaing
  • Considered one of the most picturesque villages in France, Estaing is one of the stops along the walking pilgrimage to Santiago. You can tour the medieval castle, take a vineyard tour by foot or spend the day wine tasting at one of the many cellars.

WHERE TO EAT

Don’t miss these top restaurants during your visit to L’Aubrac.
  • Camillou
  • Camillou in Aumont Aubrac has been around since the 1900’s, serving gourmet French food using traditional local recipes.
  • Buron du Che
  • If you decide to stay at the lovely Les Chalets de La Rule, then Buron du Che will be right next door and I highly recommend stopping in for dinner. Make sure to try theAligot!
  • Hotel Remise
  • Hotel Remise in Saint Urcize is worth a stop if you are near this tiny town. Fred and Isabelle run a wonderful hotel and restaurant and are two of the most accommodating hosts I encountered in France.



No comments:

Post a Comment